Four Slept on College Essentials by a College Student

Heading off to college is a very exciting but anxious time for many students. There are many things to think about like how to find your classes on the first day, what clubs to join, or how to talk to people you have never seen before. I am an out of state student from Hawaii, attending a small school in the middle of nowhere, known as Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Heading off to college was pretty easy for me, because I enjoy change and adventure. 

Similar to most college students, I faced my fair share of challenges, with the primary one revolving around what to pack and take with me to college. I sought advice from my parents, older siblings, and even consulted Google for guidance on this matter. The list of suggestions I received seemed never-ending. However, now that I'm a senior in college, I've gained the confidence that I have a solid grasp on what items are essential to pack and bring with me each school year. In the midst of the numerous items to bring, I've condensed my checklist to prioritize those crucial essentials that tend to be disregarded.

Allow me to introduce my Top Four College Necessities:

1. Socks: While socks might seem like an obvious choice, I've come to appreciate their importance over time. After cycling through countless pairs of socks, I've realized that receiving socks as gifts, especially during Christmas, is a brilliant idea. I've had my fair share of lost socks due to my own carelessness, the mysterious laundry monster, and friends mistakenly taking them for their own. Considering that I typically go through nearly two pairs of socks each day, that adds up to 14 pairs a week. Take this info as you want but I recommend having at least 15-20 pairs of socks in your drawers at all times.
2. Headphones: These versatile accessories serve multiple purposes in your daily college routine. In lectures, they come in handy when you need to listen to audio materials. Additionally, in a noisy dorm room, headphones can provide a peaceful environment for chatting with family and friends back home. And when it gets late you can use them to play soothing white noise or music if you're having difficulty falling asleep. AirPods or Beats are just as good as the $10 Skullcandy's from Ross.
3. Recovery Tools: In college, maintaining both physical and mental health is extremely important. As a college athlete, I often woke up feeling sore and fatigued after strenuous workouts. However, it's not just athletes who experience this; anyone, whether they're an athlete or not, can relate when sitting through lengthy lectures in uncomfortable chairs takes a toll on their body. To tackle these challenges, I found solace in three essential items: a simple foam roller and a TheraGun for relieving muscle soreness and knots, and a comfortable mattress topper that significantly improved the quality of my sleep. While these items may require a reasonable investment, their long-term benefits make them worthwhile. If cost is a concern, you can also explore more budget-friendly alternatives available online or in select stores.
4. Vaseline/Chapstick: Skin care often gets overlooked in college, but I'm a firm believer in the saying "Feel good, play good." To ensure I always feel my best, I make it a habit to keep my lips well-moisturized with either Vaseline or Chapstick. Vaseline, in particular, serves a dual purpose as it can also be applied to prevent skin from cracking during dry seasons. What's even better is that Vaseline is a cost-effective solution, readily available at most stores. As for Chapstick, I always keep a Burt's Bees stick in my pocket for every class, event, or workout session. Its convenience and effectiveness have proven invaluable time and time again.
In summary, the transition to college can evoke a mix of excitement and apprehension, particularly for those who are bracing for significant changes such as relocating away from home. Strategic packing becomes imperative, making it worthwhile to consider including socks on your Christmas wishlist, ensuring you have headphones for your music preferences like Drake, equipping yourself with the essentials of an athletic trainer, and maintaining well-moisturized lips. As you embark on this exciting new chapter, keep these essentials in mind to facilitate a smoother and more confident transition into college life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Album Review: "Nostalgia" by Rod Wave

Anticipated Events for the Upcoming NBA Season

Summer Job